As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases with no additional costs for you.
There are many good reasons to invest in a wine cooler. Either you are a serious collector, a serial entertainer, or you live in a climate that requires wine to be cooled, or it will spoil. Like any appliance, a wine cooler can stop working at any moment for several reasons so it is good to know how to fix it.
Wine coolers can stop cooling for six common reasons – A break in electricity, compressor problems, capacitor problems, the condenser fan stops working, a defective thermostat, or a broken evaporator. Most of these problems can be troubleshot at home, but a technician is needed for advanced issues.
Unless you are a qualified electrician or electrical engineer, opening a wine cooler or fridge is not advisable as it can present many hazards. Minor problems can be dealt with at home, so let’s look at why wine coolers stop cooling and how you could potentially fix it.
TIP: If you want to check out the best refrigerator for wine storage, I recommend trying out the Avation (18 bottles) compressor refrigerator with Wi-fi smart app control cooling system. You can find this refrigerator by clicking here (Amazon link).
Why is My Wine Cooler Not Cooling?
Whether new or old, any electrical appliance runs the risk of becoming faulty and stops cooling at any moment.
Recommendation box: Everything you need to enjoy your wine as much as possible. All recommended products are personally tested and regularly used by experts from this website (Amazon links):
> Ivation Wine Cooler – Energy-efficient wine cooler for 18 bottles with Wi-fi smart app control cooling system.
> Wine Rack – Beautiful, elegant wood rack for up to 7 bottles and the choice of vertical or horizontal storage.
> Durand Wine Opener – Classic vintage wine opener (we like all these classic staff).
> YouYah Iceberg Wine Decanter – The most beautiful and handy wine decanter we personally use.
> Bormioli Rocco Wine Glasses – A set of eight elegant and traditional wine glasses made in Italy.
> Vintorio Wine Aerator – Simple but really useful wine aerator for a reasonable price.
> The Original Vacu Vin Wine Saver – The best wine saver on the market in a package with two vacuum stoppers and two wine servers.
And if you want to become a true connoisseur of wine, we recommend reading the book Wine Folly: The Essential Guide to Wine (Amazon link), where you will find all the information you need about winemaking, wine varieties, flavors, and much more.
The most proactive thing to do would be to know as much as possible about the appliance so that you can do a series of troubleshooting exercises before needing to call a technician.
A wine cooler that has stopped working can quickly turn into an expensive situation, especially if you store expensive or rare wines inside.
The wine cooler needs to be fixed as soon as possible to avoid any significant losses. The best way to approach a wine cooler that has stopped cooling is by process of elimination and to know what can go wrong.
The Compressor Wine Cooler
The electricity is the main reason why your wine cooler is not cooling. The other parts of the wine cooler you need to check when the cooler not cooling are mentioned above.
Reason #1 – Electricity
A break in electricity can be one of the causes why your wine cooler stops working. Although this is not a mechanical problem with the wine cooler, it is common. Before you check any mechanical issues, always check the main power supply.
A compressor is a unit that causes the cooling of the wine cooler. This type of wine cooler works similarly to a standard refrigerator. It uses a vapor compression cycle to remove the heat from the inside chamber of the cooler.
Reason # 2 – Problems With The Compressor
A compressor that is not working will cause temperature problems. A reason for this could be that it is not receiving sufficient power, or it could be overheating, and that will cause it to malfunction and stop working altogether.
A capacitor is connected to the compressor and causes the compressor to start.
Reason #3 – Problems With The Capacitor
Common problems with the capacitor could be that the unit is not receiving enough power to start the compressor. There could be a surge in electricity that causes the capacitor to burn out and seize up.
The Condenser Fan
The condenser fan distributes air to the entire system. Its main function is to keep the coil and the condenser cool to avoid overheating. The fan is an important component in keeping the wine cooler working optimally.
Reason # 4 – Problems With The Condenser Fan
If any of the condenser fan components stop working, it will cause the wine cooler to overheat. A fan blade can crack and break off, creating an uneven rotational cycle, and the fan can stop working. The other issue that can arise is that the teeth of the mechanism can strip, and the fan can no longer spin.
The thermostat measures, monitors, and controls the temperature of the wine cooler and constantly adjusts the temperature as needed. The temperature is measured with several sensors placed inside the wine cooler. This information is relayed to the fans to cool the cooler to the correct temperature.
Reason #5 – Problems With The Thermostat
A thermostat may become faulty if you experience many power surges or power outages. Usually, a faulty thermostat will either warm up the interior unit of the wine cooler or cool it well below the freezing point.
This problem arises when one or more sensors malfunction sending incorrect signals to the thermostat. If you cannot rectify this problem immediately, the wine will spoil.
Reason #6 – The Evaporator
An evaporator works by pulling hot air away from the coils to cool down the inner part of the wine cooler cabinet. This is the cold air you feel when you open the wine cooler door.
Problems With The Evaporator
Problems with the evaporator can be caused by a blockage in the line causing the unit to be warmer than it should be. The evaporator has a fan, and it can accumulate a lot of dust and oily debris if not cleaned regularly. The evaporator fan blades can bend and stop working.
TIP: If you are interested in storing Champagne properly, these are some of the very best wine refrigerators rated for Champagne available. Check out this article to learn all the facts. Do you know the difference between Champagne and sparkling wine? Read all about them here!
TIP: A suitable wine glass is the basis for enjoying well-being while drinking your favorite wine variety. Here are our favorite ones (Amazon link):
- Bormioli Rocco Crystal Wine Glasses: A set of eight elegant and traditional wine glasses made in Italy for a reasonable price.
- Riedel VINUM Wine Glasses: Luxury set of two wine glasses suitable for any occasion. We just love them!
- Schott Zwiesel Tritan Crystal Glasses: If you like unusual alternatives, a set of six stemless glasses made of crystal glass.
A Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
Three main parts can be broken or not working properly when your wine thermoelectric wine cooler is not cooling. They are:
The Peltier Modules
You may opt for a thermoelectric wine cooler as an alternative to using a compressor wine cooler. A thermoelectric wine cooler uses Peltier modules to conduct the heat from the interior wine cooler cabinet.
Thermoelectric wine coolers are effective in keeping the wine sediment undisturbed. These units are more environmentally friendly and use much less energy to operate but are less effective in keeping the interior temperatures regulated and low.
A thermoelectric wine cooler does not have a refrigerant system like a regular refrigerator or wine cooler has. Because of this, it is more difficult to manage and regulate internal and external temperatures.
Problem With The Peltier Modules
If the room’s external environment temperature is too high, the Peltier modules will be rendered useless and ineffective in cooling and maintaining the interior temperature.
A thermoelectric wine cooler is recommended to be placed in a temperature-controlled environment where the room temperature never exceeds 75°F.
Problems With Improper Ventilation
A thermoelectric wine cooler needs to stand clear from any objects that may restrict airflow. If there is insufficient ventilation around the unit, it will not function or cool the interior effectively.
This problem may be why your room and thermostat temperatures are perfect, but the wine cooler is not working.
Problems With The Fan
Thermoelectric cooler units also use a fan to draw out the hot air from the interior cabinet to the outside. It is very easy for the fan in a thermoelectric cooler to disconnect when moved to a different location or if a passer-by knocks it.
Any fan can become obstructed by dirt, dust, or debris, making the fan blades heavier and straining the motor. Any moving part in an appliance can stop working and need to be replaced without clearly indicating why it broke.
TIP: If you live in an apartment or have limited storage space, this helpful article on the 7 Wine Storage Hacks for Small Spaces will really help you out. Read this article to find out how to properly store your favorite wine if you don’t have a refrigerator.
What to Do if Wine Cooler is Not Cooling
In the unfortunate event that your wine cooler stops cooling, you can follow these helpful steps to try and determine the cause. An important tip to consider is that any faulty electrical appliance can electrocute you if you touch the wrong component.
TIP: Are you interested in buying a wine stopper? We’ve personally tried and recommend buying one of these wine stoppers (Amazon links):
- The Original Vacu Vin Wine Saver: Our top choice. Very easy-to-use wine stopper/saver. You can enjoy a glass of fresh wine whenever you want without worrying about wasting any.
- EZBASICS Wine Saver: Great alternative to Original Vacu Vin Saver. This wine stopper keeps the flavor of wine for up to one week.
- Champagne Stopper by MiTBA: Wine stoppers for sparkling wines are different. This wine stopper seals your bottle and increases the pressure so your beverage’s bubbles won’t go to waste.
Always ensure the main power supply is switched off and that you unplug the alliance from the wall socket before attempting to troubleshoot. The following steps can be taken to determine why your wine cooler is not cooling:
- Check the electrical socket for any signs that it short-circuited
- Check the main power box to see if all the circuits are on
- Inspect the fan to see if it is dirty
- Inspect the fan to see if its mechanism is not stripped
- Ensure a wine cooler is never installed on underfloor heating
- Check the room temperature
- Check if there is sufficient ventilation
- Check the door seals for perishing
- Check the room thermostat and adjust
- Check the compressor
TIP: Most wines go bad once you pop the cork within a day or so. But a Coravin Wine Preservation system (available for a great price on Amazon) can extend the life of your opened wine for weeks or even months. It is awesome. You should check it out to see if it fits your lifestyle.
How to Fix Wine Fridge not Cooling
Let’s look at simple ideas on how to fix the wine fridge when not cooling.
Compressor Wine Cooler
How To Fix A Fan That Is Not Running
- Ensure the condenser fan can freely spin. Check for any visible obstructions.
- Check for oily debris build-up of dust on the fan blades.
- Wipe the blades with a warm, soapy cloth until all the debris or dust is clear and the blades are clean. Use a compressed air can to blast out any hidden debris. The compressed air will also dry the blades.
- Once the fan is clean, switch the unit on to see if the fan starts to work.
- If that does not work, the fan might need to be replaced. Please switch off the unit and unplug it from the socket. Unscrew the fan from the motor section and take it to the local hardware for a replacement.
- Replace the broken unit with the new fan and switch on the cooler. This should sort out the issue.
How To Fix An Evaporator That Is Not Working
- Inspect the evaporator for any build-up of ice.
- Inspect the evaporator for any debris or dust, and inspect the evaporator’s fan unit to ensure it is free of dust or debris.
- If ice has built upon the evaporator, unplug the wine cooler and let the ice melt.
- Clean any visible dirt, debris, or dust and ensure no visible obstructions.
- If any fan blades are bent, promptly replace them with a new fan unit.
- Switch the wine cooler on to check if the evaporator is working.
How To Fix A Defective Thermostat
- If you suspect that the thermostat is not working, the only solution is to replace the unit, as it cannot be repaired.
- You can find several tutorials online; however, it is wise to contact a qualified technician to do this so that you do not damage the unit.
- Replacing a thermostat needs to be replaced by an expert so that there is no damage to the rest of the wine cooler.
TIP: Many people worry if wine refrigerators are noisy and thus more appropriate for a garage. In this article, you’ll see that these concerns are mostly unfounded. This is a great article all about noisy refrigerators that should put your mind at ease.
Thermodynamic Wine Cooler
How To Fix Room Temperature Problems
- If your thermoelectric wine cooler stops cooling, it could be that your room temperature is too high. This doesn’t mean there is a defect in the unit in any way.
- The simplest way to fix a room temperature issue is to adjust the A/C when days are hot or to move the wine cooler to a different area in the room where there is more airflow.
How to Fix Ventilation Problems
- Ventilation problems are easy to remedy. Ensure there is nothing that obstructs the wine cooling unit fans or that it is not too close to a wall at the back. If there are any obstructions, remove them to create better airflow.
- Move the wine cooler at least 6 inches away from the wall or other objects.
- A thermoelectric wine cooler must be a standalone unit and should not be built into a cabinet or kitchen unit.
- Ensure no items are placed on the top of the wine cooler.
- Place the wine cooler in a room where many windows or doors can be opened at any time to create airflow.
How To Fix A Fan Problem
- Once you have inspected your wine cooler and determined it is not the room temperature or the thermostat unit, the chances are that the fan has stopped working.
- Inspect and clean the fan thoroughly. If there is visible dirt or debris, remove it using a warm, soapy cloth.
- Inspect the fan connection and check that it is properly connected.
- Attach the connectors back into the corresponding slots if the fan is disconnected.
- Using a vacuum cleaner of compressed air can clean the area thoroughly.
How to Reset a Wine Cooler
Suppose your wine cooler stops working or raises the temperature suddenly, and you follow the recommended troubleshooting tips but find nothing wrong. You might need to resort to performing a hard reset on the wine cooler unit.
The following steps are recommended:
- You can do a liquid temperature test by placing a glass of water inside the unit for 24 hours.
- Place the glass of water in the middle of the unit for the most accurate reading.
- After 24 hours, use a calibrated thermometer to check the water temperature.
- If the temperature is too high, you need to perform a hard reset.
- Start by unplugging the wine cooler unit from the wall for 45 minutes.
- Plug the unit back into the and switch it on. This action can be sufficient to reset the wine cooler back to normal.
- If the hard reset fails, don’t hesitate to contact the company where you purchased the wine cooler or a refrigeration repair company. You might need a technician to have a look at the unit.
Or watch this explanation video:
Both thermoelectric and compressor wine coolers are built to keep wine cool continuously. Their motors and components are manufactured to last for at least 5 to 10 years, but they may malfunction in rare cases.
Thermoelectric wine coolers are not as strong or durable as compressor wine coolers and may therefore cause premature problems or malfunction.
If your wine cooler stops working or is not cooling, we recommend you follow our guidelines and tips. Always ensure you take safety precautions when working with electrical equipment, and if you are not sure how to proceed – call a technician.
TIP: Check out this page for a complete list of wine products and accessories I love. You’ll find my recommendations for wine refrigerators, decanters, and aerators and the best place to buy wine online. Click here to see the complete listing.